Friday, November 9, 2007

Thank you Garth


I have issues with country music. Some of it I love, some of it I despise. Take this year for example: Taylor Swift? 17-year-old prodigy who writes her own music, plays her own guitar (the same one as mine by the way), and puts out a killer album with not one great song on it, but like 10 great songs. Love her. Brad Paisley? Overrated and far too twangy. His album was all about his obsession with 2 things: cars and his own adolescence. The single "Online" gets my vote for worst song of the year. Then there are those artists who ruin a good album with one bad song (Carrie Underwood)...any guesses on which song ruined the album? Maybe the one that belongs on a really bad evangelical broadcast. I know what some of you are thinking "but I loved that song"...I don't care; the title itself is cheesy enough make the rest of the song obsolete. And don't even get me started on Martina McBride who has a great voice, but insists on making each album a public service announcement that explores every depressing aspect of domestic violence (usually disguised by a catchy beat)...I love how on the 4th of July they play "Independence Day" over and over like it's some uplifting song about freedom. Anyhow, one person who I can honestly say I've always loved is good old Garth. I did wonder what the heck was going on during the Chris Gaines fiasco. And also, there was some weirdness when he and Tricia finally got together (like when they got married he had his daughters wear wedding dresses and veils too). Weird and also slightly creepy. But it seems every few years he has a random single that reminds everyone of how he became an icon in the first place. I'm in love with his most recent single "More than a Memory"...I love it almost as much as I love "She's Every Woman". Garth can pick a great song even if he can't really write them. The lyrics are simple but haunting "When you find the things to do not to fall asleep, cause you know she's waiting in your dreams." Thank you Garth for recharging my country batteries.

1 comment:

Kitrina said...

I agree...I am a country fan but to a point. I do love Garth but the whole affair thing with Trisha, GROSS!