Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Shayla's First Day

Oh the drama. Shay's first day of school was, thankfully, a success. That morning she was raring to go. Think Nemo, "First day of school! First day of School!" Then there was me (Marlin), "Are you sure you wanna go to school this year? 'Cause there's no problem if you don't. You can wait 5 or 6 years." In reality I've tried really hard to put on a big show about how great school will be to get her excited. Here's a few pictures:
Kyler was about as excited as I was.

Showing off her new special bracelet from Mom and Dad.

I was so grateful that her sweet friend Julia was heading to first grade at the same school. When Shayla saw her there it was like Christmas morning.

Saying goodbye to Daddy. Mom wasn't the only sad one... Shayla cheered him up with, "now since I'm in school too we can do homework together tonight!"

When I finally got to pick her up I found her attached to a cute little girl named Rachel. Of course my friendly daughter (who likes to introduce herself to kids in the toy section of target)had no trouble making friends.

Kyler and I made a welcome home sign that she thinks should stay up until her last day of kindergarten.

As you can see from the giant smile on Shayla's face, kindergarten is nothing to be sad about. That didn't stop Mom from having a meltdown, but I did hold it together pretty well until she was safely in her classroom distracted by play-dough and I had to walk out the door. A big thank you to all my awesome friends and family who know me well and took the time to call (among other things) and console me.

16 comments:

Emerson said...

man, i LOVE that girl. i love her mommy too! here's to our exciting year of car-pool together....hooray!

Rocia said...

wow, i sure hope that wasn't emer that left that last comment. ha ha. sorry, it was just me!

Mindy said...

Is it rude of me to be glad that Shayla is in a jacket and long sleeves? See, Idaho Falls isn't so different from S.F. You should totally move back here.

jocelyn said...

how awkward if that comment was from emerson! haha. don't be sad, she will do so great and pretty soon you'll have a new little baby to baby all day!

Woods: said...

She's darling! I'm so glad she loves it! I hope you are doing better with her being gone! Lots of changes going on at your house! Why have we not seen a belly shot yet?!

Rebecca said...

I don't believe in belly shots. I'm joking, but I definitely won't "show it off" more than once... I'll just wait until I'm a total whale and then I'll post one.

Brooke said...

What an adorable girl. How did I know it would go exactly like that. Shayla loving it, and you dying inside. I am proud of you for holding yourself together. She could not be any cuter. I miss you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Becca! I finally got my blog going! Yours is so cute, and your family is so adorable! juliearfmann.blogspot.com
Jules

Lara Zierke said...

Hey Rebecca!
It's Lara Hays. I just found your blog and wanted to say hi. Your kids are so stinking adorable. It's been fun to read your posts and catch up!

Anonymous said...

Lets Play Halo

Rebecca said...

Let's not

Amy said...

Your little girl is a mini you. Your kids are super cute. I love it. Hey, I just joined the blogging world...
theseaversgrowingpains.blogspot.com
I hope everything is going great for you guys.

The Halls said...

I'm so glad Kindergarten was a success! We've started preschool--Conner might be the only kid to ever get kicked out j/k! I'm sure he will adjust. How's the baby bump? Love ya!

Woods: said...

Question for you: What is a 'must do' in San Fran? I'm coming out to visit my hubby next weekend for 1 day and I'm wondering if there is something around the city that just has to be done! :)

Rebecca said...

Nicole, there are so many things to do but I can't think of anything you have to do... I can think of a lot of "don't" do things though. Don't waste time at Alcatraz. Don't waste time shopping downtown (Union square). If I were you I would go to Ghiradelli square for ice cream and then get on a trolley that takes you downtown if you really want to see it or shop for a little bit. Definitely do the scenic drive by the bridge and around baker beach. I'll email you my phone number... that should be easier than continuing to blab on here ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a lucky Nana I am,Leah is so loved by all of her family and It was such a blessing to have been part of the welcoming committee! I love you little Davis family!!!
Always and Forever, Nana

Thanks to all of Rebeccas' friends!!!!!